When going through a divorce or separation, it’s likely that you have now seen the best and worst of your ex’s personality. While you may have some nice memories, the worst of their behavior may be considered by you to be unforgivable and concerning.

Anger and rage are common emotions expressed by those who are facing separation, but this does not mean that violence or psychological abuse is acceptable. As well as being fearful for your own safety, you may also be concerned for the future safety of your children if your ex gets visitation rights.

What should I do if I experience concerning behavior perpetrated by my ex?

If you have experienced any form of domestic abuse, whether physical, emotional or financial, it is paramount that you take action to get an order of protection. This will, first and foremost, help keep you safe from abuse. In addition, it can be a useful way to protect your children from abuse in the future. Protection orders that have been put in place in the past and present will be acknowledged by the child custody courts when deciding whether to award visitation rights to parents.

What else can I do to ensure that my child is protected from abuse?

Any concerns that you have about the future safety of your child must be rooted in fact. Take action to build up a case based upon the criteria that child custody courts consider.

For example, child custody courts look for evidence of parental drug and alcohol use, as well as occurrences of child abuse. If you have witnessed your ex becoming more angry and impulsive when they have had too much to drink, you may want to cite this as an area of concern. Additionally, if you know that your ex uses recreational drugs, it is important that this is brought to the attention of the child custody courts.

Showing that you are fully committed to an arrangement that is in the best interests of your child will only help your case. Therefore, you should be willing to be reasonable and agree to a compromise. It is important that you understand the law in full when going through a divorce or separation with children in Colorado.